Most recent vs. specific version (was versioned collections: a p roposal)

Barbara Bazemore (barbarab@pcdocs.com)
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 13:00:20 -0500

From: Barbara Bazemore <barbarab@pcdocs.com>
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
Cc: gclemm@tantalum.atria.com
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 13:00:20 -0500
Subject: Most recent vs. specific version (was  versioned collections: a p 	roposal)

comments inline...

From: Geoffrey M. Clemm [mailto:gclemm@tantalum.atria.com]
Sent: Monday, November 09, 1998 7:14 AM
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
Subject: versioned collections: a proposal

[...]

To support versioned collections, I propose that the members of a
revision of a versioned collection should be *references* to other
*versioned resources* (not the versioned resource itself, nor a
references to particular revisions).
[...]
The contents of:

  http://www.rational.com/web-dav/repo/test/src.dir,v/r2.1

would then be lines of text such as:

  hello.c <http://www.rational.com/web-dav/repo/test/hello.c,v>
  print.c <http://www.rational.com/web-dav/repo/test/print.c,v>
  inc     <http://www.rational.com/web-dav/repo/test/inc.dir,v>

[...]

Often collections should contain the most recent version of each of their
members.  However, I believe that there are times when you want to refer to
a specific version of
a member.  This should be supported.  For example, the 3rd quarter 1998
results might point to specific versions of the balance sheet, the
president's message, the auditor's message, etc.  You wouldn't want the 3rd
quarter results changing every time someone checked in a new version of the
balance sheet.

Sometimes you may want to package up a collection containing different
versions of the same document.  For example, the 1998 report might contain
the 3rd quarter balance sheets for 1996, 1997 and 1998.

Therefore, it would be nice to define a syntax for specifying a particular
version as well as a standard way of specifying most recent version.

			Barbara b.
			PC DOCS, Inc.