Re: ECMA-cyrillic alias iso-ir-111 sore

(Sorry for the slow response, got distracted with other things)

Paul Hoffman / IMC <phoffman@imc.org> wrote:

> After reading the discussion, I see that this is probably a real
> issue. However, it is hard to judge whether there would be agreement
> here without a concrete proposal. Could you (Michael) take the
> current registration from the IANA site, modify it to say what you
> think is more accurate, and post the proposed new registration *and*
> a list of differences from old to new on the mailing list?

The current registration consists of these lines in the character-sets document:

Name: ECMA-cyrillic                                      [RFC1345,KXS2]
MIBenum: 77
Source: ECMA registry
Alias: iso-ir-111
Alias: csISO111ECMACyrillic

I propose that it be changed to read:

Name: ECMA-cyrillic
MIBenum: 77
Source: ISO registry (formerly ECMA registry)
	http://www.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/ISO-IR/111.pdf
Alias: iso-ir-111
Alias: KOI8-E
Alias: csISO111ECMACyrillic

NOTE: The description of this charset in RFC 1345 is INCORRECT.  The only
correct and authoritative description of this charset is the registration
document in the ISO registry, a scan of which appears at the URL given above.

The differences are the removal of reference to RFC 1345, the addition of the
note about RFC 1345 being incorrect, the addition of the URL for the
registration document in the ISO registry, and the addition of the KOI8-E alias
for the charset (reasons discussed earlier on this list).

> If there
> is general agreement with your specific new registration, I'll submit
> it to IANA.

So give it the standard two weeks?

MS