(unknown charset) Re: Proposed changes to UTF-8 draft

From: (unknown charset) Keld Jørn Simonsen <keld@dkuug.dk>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 20:56:17 +0100
To: (unknown charset) Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Cc: (unknown charset) Keld Jorn Simonsen <keld@dkuug.dk>, Francois Yergeau <FYergeau@alis.com>, ietf-charsets@iana.org

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 02:06:29PM -0500, Martin Duerst wrote:
> At 17:55 03/01/10 +0100, Keld J??n Simonsen wrote:
> >
> >I think we should keep ourselves to open standards whenever possible,
> >and avoid industry standards like Unicode if we can.
>
> The IETF definitely prefers open standards, but the IETF's
> definition of openness may not be the same as yours. The
> full text of Unicode, and in particular the relevant
> parts of Unicode 3.2, are available on the Web for free.
> As far as I understand, that's not the case for 10646.

Yes, free standards are good, if you want not to pay anything.
With "free" I then mean free, as in free beer. If by free you
mean something about freedom, where ordinary people can influence
the specifications, like in the IETF, you should care more for open
international standards, than for free industry standards.

Kind regards
keld