RE: internationalization/ISO10646 question

Hello Marcin,

You mentioned that the WAP spec said UTF-16, mibenum 1000
(the later being ISO-10646-UCS-2).

Why not assume that the mibenum was a mistake, and use charset=utf-16 ?

There is an RFC for utf-16, which contains very clear and detailled
rules about the BOM.

For iso-10646-ucs-2, the entry in
http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets has:

Name: ISO-10646-UCS-2
MIBenum: 1000
Source: the 2-octet Basic Multilingual Plane, aka Unicode
         this needs to specify network byte order: the standard
         does not specify (it is a 16-bit integer space)
Alias: csUnicode

It sounds like this is heavily underspecified. There are
other registrations that have similar problems. In general,
using UTF-16 (or UTF-16BE/UTF-16LE) is much better, because
it's up to date, covers the whole range of Unicode, and
is very well defined.

Regards,    Martin.