RE: Comments on draft-yergeau-rfc2279bis-00.txt

Hi Ken,

Thanks - good criticisms of the (now dated) text of RFC 2640.

We should probably send them to the author of RFC 2640 (B Curtin at
US DISA) and to the FTP Ext WG mailing list.

But it points up a problem - a plethora of IETF RFCs have more or
less discussion/description of the details of Unicode/ISO 10646.
And they all get painfully out-of-date - even (sometimes) before
they are finally published as RFCs (due to the slow RFC pipeline).

I suggest that the IETF Charsets folks should try to write up
Internet authoritative references on Unicode/ISO 10646 in as
few RFCs as possible, and let revisions of other RFCs (like
RFC 2640) _refer_ to them but not _synposize_ them.

Thus (full circle), I think that the most important function of
RFC 2279bis is to standardize authoritative Best Practices for
the use of UTF-8 in new and revised Internet protocols.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald
  High North Inc