Re: Registration of new charset BOCU-1 refreshed

At 11:05 02/08/23 -0700, Markus Scherer wrote:
>Note that, aside from current support and preference, there is no reason
>to over-emphasize UTF-8 for the Internet.
>For as long as a Unicode charset is used, conversion will be fast and
>there will be no mapping difference problems.
>Each Unicode charset has its strengths and weaknesses, and protocols and
>software should select them accordingly.

Protocols have to work together. Having a proliferation of Unicode
encodings is about as problematic as having a proliferation of
legacy encodings. And the IETF has decided to put more weight
on UTF-8 than on other encodings (in my view for very good reasons).
Please see RFC 2277.

Regards,    Martin.