Re: ignore dashes etc. (was Registration of new charset GB18030 (fwd))

And what harm does it do, to make the name matching case-insensitive --
especially since a great many implementations do that anyway?

Mark
___
mark.davis@us.ibm.com
IBM, MS 50-2/B11, 5600 Cottle Rd, SJ CA 95193
(408) 256-3148
fax: (408) 256-0799

                      Martin Duerst
                      <duerst@w3.org>          To:       Markus Scherer <markus.scherer@jtcsv.com>, charsets <ietf-
                                                charsets@iana.org>
                      2002.07.18 18:55         cc:
                                               Subject:  Re: ignore dashes etc. (was Registration of new charset  GB18030 (fwd))

At 09:50 02/07/18 -0700, Markus Scherer wrote:
>I second the various proposals to make the IANA charset matching rules
>more lenient.

I did not propose to make the matching rules more lenitent.
The only thing I suggested was that we check that we have no
conflicting registrations under such potential matching rules.
And I somewhat already regret it.

I don't think it's a good idea to change the matching rules.
We would get more and more on a slippery slope with bugwards
compatibility (Gresham's Law), and I don't see why we need to
go there when things such as e.g. XML go very clearly in the
other direction, based on very bad experience with bugwards
compatibility.

Regards,   Martin.