  From: Mark Davis
  To: Martin Duerst ; Francois Yergeau ; ietf-charsets@iana.org ; Keld J n
Simonsen ; Jonathan Rosenne
  Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2001 07:09
  Subject: Re: ISO 8859 -8:1999

  Precisely. As discussed in TR22, 1.2.1:

  There may be cases where a specified character mapping table is not
available. In such cases, a best-fit mapping table can be used. However,
this technique should be used with caution, since otherwise data can be
corrupted. For example, in XML there are different strategies depending on
whether the process is parsing or generating.
    Suppose that you have two sets X and SUB_X, where X is a superset of
SUB_X. (That is, every roundtrip mapping that is in SUB_X is also in X, and
X may contain additional round-trip mappings.) Then:

      a.. It is ok to parse with X when the file is tagged as SUB_X. Since X
is a superset, all the characters will be read correctly. Any characters
that are not in SUB_X will be encoded as NCRs (e.g. ꯍ), and will
work.
      b.. It is ok to generate the file with SUB_X, and tag the file as X.
As long as you convert the characters that are not in SUB_X into NCRs,
everything works.
      c.. What is NOT ok is to parse with SUB_X when the file is tagged with
X — characters will be corrupted.
      d.. What is NOT ok is to generate the file with X, and tag the file
with SUB_X — characters will be corrupted.

  TR22: http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr22/#Illegal_and_Unassigned
  —————

  Ὀλίγοι ἔμφονες πολλῶν ἀφρόνων φοβερώτεροι — Πλάτωνος
  [For transliteration, see http://oss.software.ibm.com/cgi-bin/icu/tr]

  http://www.macchiato.com