From: "Cheng XU" <xucheng@cn.ibm.com>
To: <chenzhuang@263.net>
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2001 9:37 AM
Subject: Fw:(by chenzhuang@263.net)Re: Registering GBK and GB18030 in the
IANA charset registry

> Dear Chen Zhuang,
> Could you please contact Anthony for the detail about registration?
Thanks.

<kevin@thizlinux.com>, Fai <fai@thizlinux.com>,
James Su <suzhe@turbolinux.com.cn>,
<shwang@sonata.iscas.ac.cn>, Jian Wu
Zhang <leon@xteamlinux.com.cn>, Yu
Roger So <roger.so@sw-linux.com>, Pablo
<pablo@mandrakesoft.com>, zhaoway <zw@debian.org>, Yu
>                                           Mingjian <yumingjian@china.com>,
Chen Xiangyang
Meyer <dmeyer@adobe.com>, Markus
<markus.scherer@jtcsv.com>, Ken Lunde <lunde@adobe.com>,
>                                           li18nux2000@li18nux.org,
bsd-locale@haun.org
>                                          Subject:     Re: Registering GBK
and GB18030 in the IANA charset

----

>             Application of IANA Charset Registration for GB18030
>     ----------------------------------------------------
>
>     (First draft, November 9, 2001)
>
> Purpose
> =======
>
> 1. This is a proposal to register "GB18030" as a Charset name with
>    Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA).
>

> Background
> ==========
>
> 2. To facilitate electronic communication in People's Republic of China,
>    and to provide a smooth migration path from the older GB 2312-1980
>    standard and GBK (1993?) specification to Unicode / ISO 10646 /
>    GB 13000.1, the Chinese government published the GB 18030-2000 standard
>    on March 17, 2000:
>
>      Chinese National Standard GB 18030-2000: Information Technology --
>         Chinese Ideograms Coded Character Set for Information
Interchange --
> [...]
>
> 1-byte:  {00-7E} Same as ASCII (ISO 646)
> 2-byte:  {81-FE}{40-7E,80-FE} Same as GBK
> 4-byte:  {81-FE}{30-39}{81-FE}{30-39} Maps linearly to ISO 10646
> starting from GB+81308130 = U+0080
> while skipping the mappings already defined
> in the 2-byte portions.
>
> 4. This registration request is specifically made since proper
>    registration will facilitate development of Operating Systems and
>    Internet-related software supporting GB18030.
>

> Registration Requirements (as defined in RFC 2278)
>
> 5. Required characteristics
>
>   - The proposed charset conforms to the definition of a "charset"
>     as defined in 2.4 of RFC 2278.
>
>   - The proposed charset is suitable for use in MIME.
>
>   - The proposed charset is specified in a stable, openly available
>     specification.
>

> 6. New charsets
>
>    - The proposed charset is NOT a new charset.  It is a Chinese national
>      standard published on March 17, 2000 and further revised in
>      November 2000.
>

> 7. Naming requirements
>
>    - Proposed name for the charset is "GB18030".
>
>    - The name conforms to the ABNF definition in sect 3.3 of RFC 2278.
>

> 8. Functionality requirement
>
>    - The proposed charset functions as an actual charset.
>

> 9. Usage and implementation requirements
>
>    The GB 18030-2000 standard wasIt has been created by the Chinese
>    government with inputs from major vendors and institutions to
>    ensure full ISO 10646 / Unicode 3.x compatibility while
>    providing a smooth migration path from GB2312 and GBK encodings.
>
>    The proposed "GB18030" charset has been a mandatory standard in
>    Mainland China since August 31, 2001.  All operating systems
>    sold on or after that date must support GB18030.  Several major
>    operating systems already come with full GB18030 support, and
>    other vendors will finish the transition in coming months.
>    User-end applications will also fully support GB18030 in coming years.
>    Full GB18030 fonts have been available for some time now.
>
>    GB18030 is also China's solution to support minority ethnic languages
>    such as Mongolian, Tibetan and Uyghur, as well as all other languages
>    of the world.  It also fulfills the needs of ancient Chinese literature
>    research, libraries, geography, names, and more.
>

> 10. Publication requirements
>
>     The proposed charset has been published by the Chinese Government in
>     March 2000.  The standard was revised in November 2000.  Newer
revisions
>     will be published to follow updates in Unicode and ISO 10646
standards.

>     Dirk Meyer <dmeyer@adobe.com> has kindly translated and provided
>     comments of the GB 18030-2000 standard in English.  While unofficial,
>     it is indeed the authorative document on GB18030.  An on-line copy
>     is available at:
>
> ftp://ftp.oreilly.com/pub/examples/nutshell/cjkv/pdf/GB18030_Summary.pdf
>
>     Markus Scherer (IBM) has also written some technical documentation:

http://oss.software.ibm.com/cvs/icu/~checkout~/charset/source/gb18030/gb1803
0.html

>     The full XML definition of the GB18030 charset is defined here:

http://oss.software.ibm.com/cvs/icu/~checkout~/charset/data/xml/gb-18030-200
0.xml