RE: Proposal to register SCSU for IANA

From: <ned.freed@innosoft.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 22:00:23 -0800 (PST)
To: "McDonald, Ira" <imcdonald@sharplabs.com>
Cc: "'Martin J. Duerst'" <duerst@w3.org>, Markus Scherer <markus.scherer@jtcsv.com>, charsets@innosoft.com
> Hi Markus and Martin,

> I just visited the Unicode Consortium home page and verified
> my memory - UTF#6 (SCSU) has the status 'Approved' (by
> Unicode Consortium) but is NOT incorporated into the
> brand new Unicode v3.0 specification.  I *think* that
> weakens the case for IANA registration, but I could easily
> be wrong.

> Harald or Ned - what do you guys think?

I'm basically in agreement with Martin. I like having names for things
so we have something we can use if the need arises. On the other hand, I
don't see much utility in actually using SCSU. (I note in passing that
the registration needs to say it cannot be used in MIME text.) So I'd
say register, but recommend it not be used.