Re: Proposal to register SCSU for IANA

From: Martin J. Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 08:23:03 +0900
To: Markus Scherer <markus.scherer@jtcsv.com>, charsets@innosoft.com
This is probably a difficult one.

- We don't really want it to be used too much, but the IANA
   policy for registrations (as far as I have heard from people
   I consider relevant in this respect) currently tends towards
   'register if somebody uses it, even if we think it shouldn't
   be used'.

- Strictly formally speaking, the thing fits the definition for
   'charset', but it's really rather far away from the average
   case.

So I would say: Register, but with as big a warning as possible.

Regards,   Martin.