Re: Registration of new charset SCSU

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <Harald@Alvestrand.no>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 00:15:14 +0200
To: Markus Scherer <markus.scherer@jtcsv.com>, ietf-charsets@iana.org
Two comments only:

- the "charset" SCSU is, as far as I can see, the combination of the CCS
   UNICODE/ISO 10646 with the CES of UTR #6.
   This should be expressed clearly in the "Published specification" section;
   as currently written, it sounds like you're registering the CES only,
   which is a no-no.

- I would like to add under "Additional information":
   SCSU is completely useless for applications that require a canonical
   representation of text. This is an intentional part of its design.

I don't like it much as a general purpose tool, but it may find a market
niche somewhere.

                 Harald
Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no