Re: Registration of new IBM Char Sets

From: Erik van der Poel <erik@netscape.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 13:37:36 -0700
To: tamer@ca.ibm.com
Cc: ietf-charsets@iana.org, iana@iana.org, iana@isi.edu, Antoine Leca <Antoine.Leca@renault.fr>, Harald Tveit Alvestrand <Harald@Alvestrand.no>
tamer@ca.ibm.com wrote:

> The only one that can be used in MIME, etc. is IBM850. All the others
> have an EBCDIC encoding and are not suitable for use "on the wire".

What is the motivation for registering these charsets if they are not
suitable for use on the wire? Is it intended to update existing EBCDIC
registrations with new ones that have now included the euro character?

I'm just concerned about adding things that don't really belong in the
registry. In general, the MIME working group has tried to keep the
number of charsets down to a minimum, in order to maintain a certain
level of interoperability.

In the past, many charsets were added to the registry, even if they were
not being used on the wire, and many of them may never be used on the
wire. The question now is whether we should continue to add such unused
charsets to the registry.

Erik