Re: Fwd: Registration of 6 charsets

1. SAP and JustSystems are not US companies, and a number of the others -- while based in the US -- are multinational companies in scope, and quite concerned with meeting customer requirements all over the world.

2. There is nothing to stop other companies or organizations from joining as full members, if they are interested in supporting the Unicode standard. The consortium is a non-profit organization. The fees, compared to other consortia, are quite reasonable, and used to finance the development of the standard.

3.  Moreover, the work done via volunteer efforts completely dwarfs what is paid for out of the fees. Many people and organizations have influence over the standard and have made significant contributions without being corporate members.

4. By your criteria, W3C and many other consortia (e.g. the Internet Mail Consortium) are as closed or more; W3C is much more expensive than the UC, for example. ISO  is also closed, since you would have to buy a small country to join.

Are you saying that IETF should not depend on anything that those organizations do?

Mark