Re: Fwd: Registration of 6 charsets

From: <ned.freed@innosoft.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 11:28:09 -0800 (PST)
To: erik@netscape.com
Cc: "Martin J. Duerst" <duerst@w3.org>, Harald Alvestrand <Harald@Alvestrand.no>, ietf-charsets@innosoft.com
> As far as I know, there are no IANA rules that require a charset
> registration to be accompanied by Unicode/10646 mappings.

Correct. The exact text regarding this says:

  Charset registrations SHOULD include a specification of mapping from
  the charset into ISO 10646 if specification of such a mapping is feasible.

There are no references to Unicode in the registration specification
at all, only to ISO 10646. This is in accordance with established IETF
policy, which says that we cite ISO 10646, not Unicode.

				Ned