(unknown charset) Re: registration of iso-8859-15: v1.1 [MIME]

Actually, this raises a question about the Microsoft Windows code pages. They
recently added the Euro to some of their code pages (CP 125x).

They registered Windows-1250 in May 1996. Did 1250 already contain the Euro at
that time?

ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/character-set-info/windows-1250

Another example: ISO 2022 has rules for revisions. If you add characters to the
set, you need to insert another escape sequence to indicate the use of the new
set.

RFC 2278 says the following:

   All registered charsets MUST be specified in a stable, openly
   available specification. Registration of charsets whose
   specifications aren't stable and openly available is forbidden.

(ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2278.txt)

But how much do people really care about this? Microsoft will probably just go
ahead and use the name "windows-1250" even if the Euro is present.

And receiving software will probably accept it.

   "Be liberal in what you accept, and
   conservative in what you send"

(ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc1123.txt)

Erik

Alain LaBonté wrote:

> Those who are planning a software update ought to be informed immediately
> though without making any noise, to prepare themselves, as after July this
> will become urgent matter in Europe.

Forwarded message 1