Re: registration of iso-8859-15: v1.1 [MIME/Internet]

Alain LaBonté wrote:

> A 18:36 98-03-30 +0000, Misha Wolf a écrit :
> >Why do we need the aliases?  I suggest (just):
> >
> >  Name: ISO-8859-15 (preferred MIME name)
>
> [Alain] :
> I thought about it too. You may be right, an alias would perhaps mislead
> people less. By chance Latin 1 was part 1 of the ISO/IEC 8859 series... We
> do not have this privilege with latin 9 and that might be confusing indeed.
>
> I'm not alone to make this recommendation then but I believe it might be
> better too, although some other people might prefer only "Latin 9" then as
> a name... So I don't know. Is there a harm to have one alias for MIME usage?

This stuff is for software.  It is not for "people" except for the poor people
who have to write and maintain the software.

[...]

Misha Wolf
Chair, W3C i18n WG

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual  sender,
except  where  the  sender  specifically  states them to be the views of
Reuters Ltd.

--Boundary (ID uEbHHWxWEwCKT9wM3evJ5w)