Re: Revised proposal for UTF-16

At 19:12 24.05.98 -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
>At 11:35 PM 5/24/98 +0200, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
>
>True, but it's a little wishy-washy, in that it doesn't try to
>lay down the law about how the little-endian holdouts
>must behave in order to get along peacefully with the rest of us.
>You need to tell them they have to use a BOM if they're going to
>talk funny.

Wishy-washy? I must be losing my edge :-)

I think it's wrong to say anything about how people who insist on
doing the Wrong Thing should behave; I was trying to craft language
that said what the Right Thing is, and hint at how to tackle the
Wrong Thing.

What about adding:

"Note: There is no way to 100% reliably detect little-endian data that does
not use the BOM."

Just telling people who try to deal with the mess that they are getting
ever deeper into a mess.....

                            Harald A

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway
Harald.Alvestrand@maxware.no

--Boundary (ID uEbHHWxWEwCKT9wM3evJ5w)