Re: Revised proposal for UTF-16

On Fri, 22 May 1998, Erik van der Poel wrote:
> Just a couple of minor points:
>
> We should *prohibit* sending out little-endian when the charset label says
> "utf-16". The little endian folks are welcome to register their own charset
> name if they wish to do so.

I concur with this opinion.

I don't want to see a repeat of the TIFF mess where there are two
incompatible endian variants and interoperability problems plus inferior
user interfaces result.  "Avoid alternate representations" is a good
design principle to follow (see draft-newman-protocol-design-01.txt).

		- Chris

--Boundary (ID uEbHHWxWEwCKT9wM3evJ5w)