Re: Registration of new charset "UTF-16"

Makoto,

In a recent mail you wrote:

[...]

> UTF-16 is defined in Appendix C.3 of [UNICODE] and Amendment 1 of [ISO-10646].

[...]

In another recent mail you wrote:

Chris Newman wrote:
> > I suggest that you simply say that UTF-16 tracks the same version of the
> > standard that UTF-8 does as defined in RFC 2279.  The text in RFC 2279 was
> > wordsmithed carefully.
> >
> > In particular, the charset label should only track the addition of new
> > characters to 10646 and should not track incompatible changes to that
> > specification without an explicit decision by the IETF.
>
> I agree on this suggestion.  Yes, "UTF-8" and "UTF-16" must reference
> to the same version.
>
> We now replace
>
> 	As long as the character repertoires and code point assignments of
> 	ISO 10646 and those of Unicode are in sync, and as far as they are
> 	not being reallocated, this charset refers to the latest version of
> 	Unicode/ISO 10646.
>
> with
>
> 	This charset refers to the same version of ISO/IEC 10646-1 and Unicode
> 	that the charset "UTF-8" refers to (See RFC 2279).

I am not clear whether this latest proposal would still include the text:

>   [ISO-10646] ISO/IEC, Information Technology - Universal Multiple-Octet Coded
>   Character Set (UCS) - Part 1: Architecture and Basic Multilingual Plane,
>   May 1993, with amendments 1 through 7.
>
>   [UNICODE] The Unicode Consortium, "The Unicode Standard -- Version 2.0",
>   Addison-Wesley, 1996.

There are some problems with these references and I would suggest we use the
RFC 2279 references.  Is that what you intend?

Regards,
Misha

  Misha Wolf            Email: misha.wolf@reuters.com      85 Fleet Street
  Standards Manager     Voice: +44 171 542 6722            London EC4P 4AJ
  Reuters Limited       Fax  : +44 171 542 8314            UK
 13th International Unicode Conference, 8-11 Sep 1998, USA, www.unicode.org

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual  sender,
except  where  the  sender  specifically  states them to be the views of
Reuters Ltd.

--Boundary (ID uEbHHWxWEwCKT9wM3evJ5w)