Re: Suggested character set policy for the IETF

"Martin J. Duerst" writes:

> On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, Ned Freed wrote:
>
> > > I thought it was obvious: We currently say that a charset is a mapping from a
> > > series of octets to a sequence of graphic characters. UTF-8 produces a lot more
> > > than graphic characters.

The key word here is "graphics". All the registrations I did had
control characters in them, if not you could not figure out
what characters were in the stream. The work "graphic" should surely
be removed or expanded to also allow control characters for MIME.

Keld

--Boundary (ID uEbHHWxWEwCKT9wM3evJ5w)