RE: CHARSET considerations

Rick Troth writes:
>        Plain text  is defined differently from system to system.
>On UNIX,  plain text is ASCII (now ISO-8859-1) with lines delimited by
>NL (actually LF).   On NT,  plain text is 16 bits wide  (so I hear).
>That ain't ASCII,  though we could be the high-order 8 bits for much
>of plain text processing,  and that's fine by me.   (memory is cheap)
>On VM/CMS,  plain text is EBCDIC (now CodePage 1047) and records are
>handled by the filesystem out-of-band of the data,  so NL (and LF and CR)
>aren't sacred characters.   Now ... "mail is plain-text,  not ASCII".

Please, gentlemen.....read the RFC.
As long as you send mail over the Internet, claiming MIME compatibility,
the bits on the wire have to conform to the MIME convention, *NOT* to
the local convention, whatever that is.

The omission of a character set label from text/plain
MEANS THAT THE CHARACTER SET IS US ASCII.

A message that contains characters with the high bit set CANNOT BE US-ASCII,
and therefore, a text/plain message without a charset= label in it
that has such characters IS NOT LEGAL MIME.
So, when SMTP strips the 8th bit, it gets what it deserves.

This was ******NOT******* an oversight. This was deliberate design,
designed to promote interoperability. The proliferation of mail in strange
character sets without labels is *exactly* one of the things that the MIME
effort was meant to *remove*.

End of flame..............if you want a couple of tons more, read the
archives of the SMTP and RFC-822 groups. The last flareup is hidden under
"unknown-7bit" and "unknown-8bit" discussions.

                        Harald Tveit Alvestrand