Re: Definitions: caches, history buffers, etc.

Jeffrey Mogul writes:

 > Second, I think we have no choice but to leave the behavior of
 > a history buffer up to the browser implementor, although we might
 > specify that if a browser confuses the distinctions, then any
 > resulting erroneous behavior is not the fault of the servers or
 > proxies.

I know we can't go too far down this path, but in order to demonstrate
the importance of this subject, we might also want to
point out some of the consequences of not following whatever
recommendations we make.  For instance, if a history buffer always
tries to re-load stale pages when they are re-viewed using history
mechanisms, that can cause problems for service providers and their
users -- unintended side effects, to name one -- that force the
service providers to change the "freshness" info they attach to
Etc.

--Shel