Re: Caching dynamically generated documents

Luigi Rizzo writes:
> It is also a problem for caches, which must either give up or
> develop complex and memory consuming techniques essentially to
> try to reconstruct the behaviour of the server from its responses.
> This is both for GET (where no side effects can be assumed, but
> requests with different parameters possibly yield different results),
> and POST methods.
The request URI is a good cache key. The problem is:
How the script will handle HEAD and GET/I-M-S ?
If the script can handle both, then the response can be cached in a
normal way. If we specify Cache-control: no-cache mandatory for scripts
not supporting both HEAD and GET/I-M-S, the problem is likely solved.
(For 1.1 servers only, of course.)

Andrew. (Endre Balint Nagy) <bne@bne.ind.eunet.hu>