Re: On transparency

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 01:23:49 -0800
To: "David W. Morris" <dwm@shell.portal.com>
Cc: HTTP Caching Subgroup <http-caching@pa.dec.com>
>> > I defy you to explain, for example, how Shel Kaphan can make his
>> > book-ordering server work in your user-wins model.
>>
>> That's easy -- give the user an option at the outset regarding how
>> they would like to proceed.
>
> You are wrong on this one Roy. There are a class of applications for
> which any alternative other than strict obediance to the server's
> intent would cause sever breakage. The PROTOCOL *MUST* support
> such applications.

Ahem.  There does not exist any conforming HTTP application for
which caching a response to a GET request would cause severe breakage.
That is one of the reasons why GET and HEAD have the semantics of a
retrieval and do not allow side-effects which would be significant to
the user's action.

.....Roy