Re: "Cache-control: no-cache", "Cache-control: private", and extensibility

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 10:53:52 -0800
To: Shel Kaphan <sjk@amazon.com>
Cc: http-caching@pa.dec.com
> And, for the record, I buy his arguments for why we should do it the
> way he suggests, enough not to object.  I do want to remind people
> then, that set-cookie, if it gets into the spec, will have to be
> accompanied by cache-control: no-cache="set-cookie".  (NOT
> private="set-cookie")

Yes, though I will accept the exception too if it turns out that
the state info people reach complete agreement on a single syntax
and header field name before we finish cache-control.

> (BTW, Roy, what's with the double quotes there?)

Any parameter value that may contain tspecials needs to be inside
double-quotes in order to avoid ambiguity.  Since the parameter to
private can contain a list of header names, it needs double quotes.

 ...Roy T. Fielding
    University of California, Irvine, CA 92717-3425    fax:+1(714)824-4056
    http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/