Re: help?

From: Richard A. O'Keefe <ok@cs.otago.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 10:57:32 +1200
Cc: <html-tidy@w3.org>
To: Mandy Rivers <mandy.r.rivers@gmail.com>
When Tidy says "This document has errors that must be fixed before
using HTML Tidy to generate a tidied up version",

- does it give you a location in the file?
- does it say anything about what those errors _are_?

General questions:

- Take a typical file you want to clean up.  How big is it?
- How is it encoded (character set)?  Did you tell Tidy what
  that encoding is?
- How was the file generated?
- Do you have access to a web browser that will tell you about
  syntax errors?  (I have iCab, but that's Mac only, I believe.)
  The answer is YES YOU DO have access to such a web browser.
  The World Wide Web Consortium have a browser/editor called
  Amaya and you can download a Windows version from
	http://www.w3.org/Amaya/User/BinDist.html
  (or a Linux version or a Mac OS X version).
- What happens if you submit your file to the W3C's validator
  at validator.w3c.org?

If all else fails,

- do you have a small example you could post?