HTML5 Tidy [was: Undeprecating <s> and <u> tags]

From: Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 20:11:34 +0900
To: Steven Le <stevenle@google.com>
Cc: html-tidy@w3.org, tidy-develop@lists.sourceforge.net
Steven Le <stevenle@google.com>, 2012-02-06 16:20 -0800:

> The latest HTML5 specs have revived the <s> and <u> tags, links below:
>
> http://developers.whatwg.org/text-level-semantics.html#the-s-element
> http://developers.whatwg.org/text-level-semantics.html#the-u-element

Sources for an HTML5 fork of Tidy here:

  https://github.com/w3c/tidy-html5

Those sources are based on a patch from Björn Höhrmann:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2011Nov/0007.html

...with quite a few additional changes:

  https://github.com/w3c/tidy-html5/commits/master

The checking in this fork attempts to conform to the current HTML5 spec as
much as possible, though I'm sure there are cases where it does not yet.
But it does handle the <s> and <u> elements as expected.

The only way to get a binary of this HTML5 Tidy fork right now it to clone
that git repo and build from the sources yourself. But I suppose we should
host binaries for it somewhere. So I'll try to do that soon.

I can build OSX and Linux binaries myself, but I do not have a Windows
environment. So if someone else is willing to build native Windows and
Cygwin binaries, please let me know.

Eventually I'd like to get this version packaged for Debian and MacPorts
and such.

  --Mike

--
Michael[tm] Smith http://people.w3.org/mike/+