Tidy removing line breaks between embedded php statements

From: Matthew Chamberlain <mwchamberlain@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 19:56:32 +1100
To: html-tidy@w3.org
I have just recently installed HTML Tidy but am having difficulty with the
formatting of embedded pre-processor commands. Tidy is taking embedded php
statements and removing the line breaks between them, eg:

<head>
<title>HELLO WORLD!</title>
</head>
<h1>HELLO WORLD</h1>
<?php echo "Hello World!"; ?>
<?php echo "Why does this line get appended to the previous?"; ?>
<?php echo "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit.
Integer sodales. Proin mollis, turpis sit amet eleifend suscipit, magna
dolor consequat ipsum, nec lacinia risus nulla ultricies metus."; ?>

becomes

  <head>
    "HTML Tidy for Linux (vers 6 November 2007), see www.w3.org">
    <title>
      HELLO WORLD!
    </title>
  </head>
    <h1>
      HELLO WORLD
    </h1><?php echo "Hello World!"; ?><?php echo "Why does this line get
appended to the previous?"; ?><?php echo "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,
consectetuer adipiscing elit. Integer sodales. Proin mollis, turpis sit amet
eleifend suscipit, magna dolor consequat ipsum, nec lacinia risus nulla
ultricies metus."; ?>

For some reason the 'wrap-php' seems to have no effect either, with the
third php statement in the example given staying on a single line. I have
tried a whole mixture of settings in the tidy config file but nothing seems
to work. Here is the config I'm currently using:

bare:no
clean:no
escape-cdata:no
fix-bad-comments:yes
fix-backslash:yes
indent:yes
indent-attributes:no
indent-spaces:2
literal-attributes:yes
char-encoding:raw
replace-color:yes
wrap:80
wrap-asp:yes
wrap-jste:yes
wrap-php:yes
write-back:no

System:
Ubuntu Studio 8.04 amd64
Tidy version: HTML Tidy for Linux released on 6 November 2007

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks,
Matt