Error generating the proper filename for the libtidy library

From: Venkat Bommakanti <venkatbo@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 15:27:04 -0800 (PST)
To: html-tidy@w3.org

Hi folks,

I'm having a strange problem that 'am usure how to
resolve. Would appreciate some help...

I'm cross compiling and "installing" tidy to a
temporary dest-dir, from where I create a pkg
that includes this and other libs for deployment.
Building on i686 Linux, targeting ppc Linux.

When I build tidy on one i686 buildbox, it generates
the lib files with names that include the substring
".so." like:
(as expected), but when I try to build it from
a diff i686 buildbox, the lib files have the ".so."
missing in the filenames, and what I get is:

This causes my "install rule" in my Makefile
to fail, as it was written to expect the ".so."
in its name...

Any idea if this is a configurable option or what
may be causing this exclusion of ".so." to to happen.

Finding fabulous fares is fun.