Re: Preventing Tidy from eating spaces

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 06:49:30 -0500
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
CC: Trevor Harmon <trevor@vocaro.com>, html-tidy@w3.org

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> Tidy does have limited XML support, see the -xml option and --input-xml
> configuration options. And yes, the same applies to HTML documents; most
> browsers treat most white space in HTML documents as significant while
> Tidy considers most of it insignificant and so it is easy to construct
> documents that break after tidying. It just so happens Tidy makes much
> better assumptions in HTML mode than in XML mode.

Really. Could you elaborate? Outside of pre elements and a couple of
others no one ever uses any more, I don't think most browsers treat
white space as all that significant. Maybe in the DOM, but not in the
rendering. Certainly the difference between one space and no space
matters, but not the difference between a space and a line break or a
space and ten spaces.

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!