Help with missing '>' error

From: Aditya Paramatmuni <aytida@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:40:38 -0500
To: <html-tidy@w3.org>
Hello,
I'm trying to use HTML Tidy on a webpage and the html code on which I'm
trying to use Tidy looks something like this:

<A
</A>
The 'A' tag is missing  '>' and tidy flags this as an error. This is the
error output that I get from Tidy:
Tidy (vers 4th August 2000) Parsing "InputStream"
line 190 column 39 - Error: <a> missing '>' for end of tag line 197 column
35
Is there any way to make Tidy fix the missing '>' or generate output inspite
of the missing '>' ?
The original looks good in a browser because our browser is pretty forgiving
in terms of missing '>' and I have no control over the original html page.
I would really appreciate any help in this regard.
Thanks,
--Aditya