Proper handling of customized tags in an HTML template

From: Chris Hartjes <chartjes@verticalscope.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 11:51:01 -0500
To: html-tidy@w3.org

Hi there,

I'm trying to use Tidy to clean up a PHPtemplate template that is being
used in a vBulletin site.  Tidy is doing a great job, except it's
stripping out some stuff that has to remain.

There is a tag called <phrase> that often looks like this:

<phrase 1="$userinfo[username]">$vbphrase[add_x_to_buddy_list]</phrase>

Now, when Tidy works it's magic it strips out the the stuff in the
<phrase> tag, leaving me with

<phrase>$vbphrase[add_x_to_buddy_list]</phrase>

Is there any way I can tell Tidy to not strip out anything inside the
<phrase> tag?

I'm using the following version of Tidy

host-174:~/src chartjes$ tidy -v
HTML Tidy for Mac OS X released on 1st December 2004

The config file I've been using for testing is as follows:

new-blocklevel-tags: if, else, phrase
new-empty-tags: if, else, phrase
new-inline-tags: if, else, phrase
wrap: 0
force-output: yes

Any help I could get on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Chris Hartjes