dashes, again

From: Chris von Rosenvinge <chris@vingdesign.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 14:45:10 -0400
To: html-tidy@w3.org

My subscription to the list was interrupted, so I am trying this
query again. My apologies in advance if you are receiving this
message for the second time.

I'm a graphic designer, and the differences between an em-dash,
n-dash and hyphen matter to me. I customarily use &#8211; for
en-dashes and &#8212; for em-dashes. When I clean up my pages using
Mac Tidy, though, it converts these both to the same hyphen. Same
thing if I use &ndash;  &mdash; I use a configuration file, but
haven't been able to find what variable controls the way Tidy deals
with these entities. What is the solution?

Thanks!
Chris von Rosenvinge