Problems tidying content as XHTML strict

From: <tidy@grootveld.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 23:02:16 +0200
To: <html-tidy@w3.org>

About two years ago, there was a thread about the fact that Tidy creates
XHTML 1.0 Transitional even if you state that your input is XHTML 1.0 Strict

I'm running into the same issue right now, and I was wondering if any
changes have been made in the last two years to address this. I haven't been
able to get Tidy to behave in the way I'd like (e.g. dropping the 'language'
attribute of the 'script' element and generating a warning about that,
instead of dropping down to Transitional because it sees the 'language'
attribute), but maybe I'm missing something somewhere.

Any pointers appreciated.