Converting Latin-1 special characters to entities

From: _and <andreafiore@r-w-x.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 18:10:50 +0200
To: html-tidy@w3.org

Hello,
I'm cleaning some html pages that I have written by hand...
This page are are written in Italian so there are a lot of accented
letters like(,,.. ecc..). I would like to convert this letters in
html entities...

example:

        bla bla bla with special characters

to...

           bla bla bla with special characters
           &egrave;&ograve;&ugrave; ...ecc

Is this function supported by tidy? or do l have to find an other solution?

thank you in advance,

Andrea Fiore

my problem is that i am not able to do this with tidy.... does it
support this function?