Escaping previously unknown elements

From: Christophe Chenon <christophe.chenon@fr.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:05:46 +0100
To: html-tidy@w3.org

I use tidy to XMLize a loose SGML file.... It's convenient for quoting
attribute values. In my files, there are strings of text where random
markup can appear. These markups are not considered part of the document
SGML structure : they are not in the DTD. I wish tidy would escape them..
For instance :

 would become

<comment> do not use this attribute with &lt;a> element.</comment>

Is it possible to declare structural markups (those of the DTD) so that
all other markups will be escaped ?

Christophe Chenon
01 49 14 42 11 - Centre de Francisation
"Studies have shown that users prefer to use websites in their own
language."