RE: table summary attribute default

From: Jelks Cabaniss <jelks@jelks.nu>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 13:21:48 -0400
To: <html-tidy@w3.org>

John Bray wrote:
> Has the subject of adding a default table summary option that works
> the same way as the img alt tag default been considered. So many of my
> tables don't have summaries, and its tedious adding blank ones.

Note there is a difference between the alt and summary attributes: alt is
required for img -- even if it's just alt="", it has to be there; summary
does not.  ("Required" in the sense of valid [x]HTML).

I rarely pay much attention to them, but you do have a point -- Tidy treats
*both* omissions as "Warnings", but with no means of silencing 'summary'.

/Jelks