tidy inserts linebreaks before start tags in preformatted elements

From: Jean Jordaan <jean@upfrontsystems.co.za>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 13:46:55 +0200
To: html-tidy@w3.org

Hi all

I'm running tidy like this:

$ tidy -xml --indent auto --new-pre-tags screen,programlisting,synopsis

The file I'm processing has content like this:

"""
<screen>
RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ http://172.16.1.10:9800/SOMEDOMAIN<co id="co1"
linkends="callout1" />/$1 [L,P]
</screen>
"""

As specified in the commandline, <screen> is a preformatted
tag. However, tidy reflows it like this, introducing a linebreak
before the <co> tag:

"""
<screen>
RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ http://172.16.1.10:9800/SOMEDOMAIN
<co id="co1" linkends="callout1" />/$1 [L,P]
</screen>
"""

Normally this would be fine, but it screws up my preformatted
layout. Is there a way to stop tidy from doing this?

Regards,
--
Jean Jordaan
http://www.upfrontsystems.co.za