RE: mdash

Mungo Jerry wrote:
> A page as simple as
> <P>&mdash;</P>
> doesn't pass through without being changed to a hyphen.
>
> Maybe my config file will reveal something causing the problem.
> Here it is.
>
> char-encoding: ascii
> ascii-chars: no
> bare: yes

Ah, there's your problem: you're setting "bare" to "yes".  Change it to
"no", or just remove the option since "no" is the default.

I just remembered I got bitten by this a long time ago too.  The quickref
documentation should probably be updated to be more explicit.  This is what
it says now ...

	This option specifies if Tidy should strip Microsoft
	specific HTML from Word 2000 documents, and output
	spaces rather than non-breaking spaces where they
	exist in the input.

... which hardly indicates the possible "side effects". :)

Anyway, I kept your entire config file as is -- except for commenting out
the "bare: yes" -- and got the desired &mdash; when I re-ran Tidy on it.

/Jelks