Re: tidy loses spaces after inline tags

From: Jean Jordaan <jean@upfrontsystems.co.za>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 15:41:17 +0200
To: jany.quintard@free.fr
Cc: html-tidy@w3.org

Hi Jany

The output you get is what I *used* to get before the upgrade.

I'm not sure exactly what version of tidy I had before .. let's
see .. I'm on Gentoo Linux. The Gentoo packaging setup says that
I used to have this: app-text/htmltidy-0.8.4
Now I have this: app-text/htmltidy-3.10.29

> Did you try this: tidy -i -xml -asxml

'-asxml' is: "to convert HTML to well formed XHTML" but my output
isn't XHTML at all, it's XML. It still gives me the same output,
too ..

The problem with the output you get (and which I used to get,
and which actually prompted me to upgrade, hoping for a fix ;)
is that this *inserts* spaces before punctuation following
inline tags! This::

     </application>LDAP directory server</application>, an

would become::

     </application>LDAP directory server</application>

     , an

which gives ugly HTML looking like "server , an".

--
Jean Jordaan
http://www.upfrontsystems.co.za