Using string not file

From: Joanna Fowlie <joanna@76design.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 16:23:09 -0500
To: <html-tidy@w3.org>

Hi,
I am very new to tidy and have just been testing tidy on our web site. I
have it working just fine with files using the test command "./tidy
-clean --word-2000 yes wordhtml.htm"

Now what I really want to do, is provide tidy with a string of html
(from posting  an html form) instead of "wordhtml.htm". I was going to
do this with the PHP extension http://pecl.php.net/package/tidy but my
hosting provider won't install it. So I've been trying to do this from
the command line, but I can't figure out how to do this.

Thanks for any help...
Jo