observing HTML rules when converting to XML

From: Piotr Banski <bansp@venus.ci.uw.edu.pl>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 01:24:11 +0100 (CET)
To: html-tidy@w3.org

Hello,

Converting an HTML file to XML, I noticed that Tidy relocates bits of
markup trying to be HTML compliant. In the case at hand, it removes <meta>
elements from within <td> elements and puts the former at the top of the
output file. The comment is: "Warning: <meta> isn't allowed in <td>
elements".

But it's XML I'm converting to, so why should it care about what HTML
allows or not? Is this a bug, or a feature ( ;-) ), please?

Thanks,

   Piotr