Possible to keep embedded Elements embedded?

From: Mark A. Lilly <marqpdx@covad.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 14:32:53 -0700
To: html-tidy@w3.org

hi All,

i've been using DocBook a lot lately with JEdit, and use Tidy to pretty my
XML files. One problem for me is that i sometimes need to prevent (or would
like to) certain elements from being placed on a newline.

For example, i might have as XML:

outside the quote.

When i tidy this, i get:

<para>and it was very
<quote>purplish</quote>

.</para>

This causes problems when i use the DocBook automatic XSLT to create HTML.
There is a space before the period.  It's not huge, but except for that, i
can seamlessly publish to HTML from DocBook XML without human intervention.

What i'd like is to be able to exclude certain elements from being placed
on a newline (even when i remove the blank line, the period is in the wrong
place)

Any suggestions??

Thanks,
mark