Re: Change what --drop-proprietary-attributes does?

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 09:53:07 +0200
To: Mattias Karlsson <mattias.karlsson@labyrinten.se>
Cc: html-tidy@w3.org

* Mattias Karlsson wrote:
>What about if an internal subset DTD extension is included?

Depending on the subset, it will either be ignored or the document
breaks, since Tidy's support for internal subset syntax is rather
limited, it tries to skip it and does not attempt to parse it.

>Example:
>  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
>  <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
>	"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"
>  [ <!ATTLIST span bodyref CDATA #IMPLIED> ] >

By the proposed definiton for --drop-proprietary-attributes this is
still proprietary and Tidy would strip the bodyref attribute. This is
btw. no strictly conforming XHTML 1.0 document if the document uses the
bodyref attribute, declaring the attribute just tricks out the
validator.

>As far as I know, Tidy will drop the 'bodyref' from any found 'span' tags
>with the class='bodyref'.

And it will keep doing so.

>I need to use the "drop-proprietary-attributes" feature, but I also need
>Tidy to handle the extra DTD subset as well.

I suggest you file a feature request on the project homepage, probably
on a config option to setup new attributes Tidy should keep untouched.