Annoying Symbol At Start Of XML Outputted File.

From: Matthew Stanfield <mattstan@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 18:26:33 +0100
To: html-tidy <html-tidy@w3.org>, html-tidy-developers <tidy-develop@lists.sourceforge.net>
Cc: Charles Reitzel <creitzel@rcn.com>

Hi,

When tidying html and outputting as xml, there is a symbol that is
appearing at the start of my XML files, ascii value is 0x98. How do I stop
it appearing?

I assume this is the 'unicode Byte Order Mark character' that is mentioned
in the Tidy configuration options reference. However if I set 'output-bom'
to false the symbol still appears. I've tried using various char encodings
setting all these char-encoding, input-encoding, output-encoding to: ascii,
latin1, raw, and utf16 --the character is always there regardless of what
encoding I use.

The char is stopping tidy output as xml from being read correctly by .net's
C# XPathDocument class. When I manually remove the char all works fine.

I am using Charles Reitzel's COM/ATL dll.

Many thanks and regards,

..matthew