RE: Empty <div> tags

From: Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 16:06:00 -0500 (EST)
To: Charles Reitzel <creitzel@rcn.com>
cc: html-tidy@w3.org

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Charles Reitzel wrote:

> Sorry, I don't understand.  What is that difference in meaning
> exactly?   Can you elaborate?

Likely the intended meaning in this case would be for the empty div to act
as a separator, similar to <br>.  The couple browsers that I checked with
rendered

as

  foo
  bar

but the tidied version becomes

  foobar

without the separation that the author likely intended.

I suppose this case doesn't come up often in practice, but I thought it
may be worth mentioning.

--
Liam Quinn