Re: pb with entities FOUND IT

From: Charles Reitzel <creitzel@rcn.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 11:48:46 -0500
To: Riccardo Cohen <rcohen@dial.oleane.com>
Cc: html-tidy@w3.org

I believe it is.  In all versions of HTML, the basic set of Latin 1 named
entities are supported.  A missing DOCTYPE shouldn't preclude their
use.  Starting with HTML 4, a large number of additional named entities are
supported.  These should probably be allowed only for markup identified as
(and perhaps verified to actually be) HTML 4 or later.

The code to determine the version level of a particular entity is not
included in Tidy Classic, so I think the code is defaulting to known safe
behavior in all browsers.  I added entity version info to TidyLib.  So,
technically, this would be an enhancement request.

take it easy,
Charlie