Re: Clean XSL documents

* Jelks Cabaniss wrote:
>Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>
>> > If there isn't one already, there probably should be a plain
>> > generic XMLTidy (separate program from HTMLTidy), that could
>> > assume all elements to be inline then fed an exception list
>> > of block and empty elements.
>
>> What shall an XML Tidy tool "tidy"?
>
>Good point.  Good question.
>
>I'm not sure it could do that much in the HTMLTidy sense of fixing up
>*bad* markup.

I can think of some cases like

  * missing end-tags
  * un-quoted attribute values
  * un-escaped <, ]> and &
  * white-space in front of the XML declaration

but then I come to think who actually writes non-wellformed XML
documents and isn't writing a fault tolerant XML processor harmful?

>I was really thinking of just a "pretty print" mechanism.

White-space in XML documents is in general significant, so it is hard to
actually pretty print, unless you think a style like documented in
http://www.w3.org/2000/08/lb2/ is "pretty". If not, you'd still need a
definition of what elements in the to be tidied document are inline and
block-level and if users are willing to provide this information? Who at
all needs pretty XML?