Re: Repeated Virus Sent To List !!

On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, Matthew Stanfield wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am repeatedly being sent the Yama virus (W32.Yaha.F@mm) via the
> html-tidy list in emails whose subject is 'Hollywood Diet Recipe
> Revealed'. The sender is "dsr<dsr@w3.org>" can these messages be
> blocked by the list admin please.

> DSR -- you are infected with the Yama virus.
>
> Thanks,
>
> ..matthew

Please accept my apologies on behalf of W3C for this problem. I have
asked W3C's system admin team to look into preventing this
reoccurring as a matter of urgency. The messages which appear to
come from me are faking the from header. I use Linux and my machine
is consequently immune from this virus.

The W32.Yaha.F@mm virus is a mass-mailing worm that sends itself to
all email addresses that exist in Microsoft Windows Address Book,
the MSN Messenger List, the Yahoo Pager list and files that have
extensions containing the letters "ht". The virus only infects
Microsoft Windows platforms and can't infect Macintosh, Unix or
Linux platforms. Symantec provide a free tool to renove infections,
see:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.yaha.f@mm.html

--
 Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> or <dave.raggett@openwave.com>